On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:03:14AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Still, there is to me no good reason not to allow installing both exim
> > and postfix at the same time.  I think it's just a tradeoff between how
> > often this could be useful and how much work it takes to tweak the
> > packages.
>
> An MTA has to provide certain things, or else it is not an MTA.
>
> One of those is a daemon listening on port 25.
>
> Another is a /usr/sbin/sendmail command that accepts new mail.
>
> There is no requirement that the sendmail command use
> localhost:25 to get the mail in; it's perfectly acceptable for
> it to:
>
> 1. Do all the work itself, or
> 2. Use a socket to hand it off to the rest of the MTA, or
> 3. Send it off to another machine somewhere, even if it's
>    destiny is to come back to this box
>
> among other things.
>
> So one package has to control both the port 25 daemon and the
> sendmail command.
>
> Debian policy is that, whenever possible, a package providing a
> daemon should start that daemon at install time. This is,
> perhaps, one of the more controversial policies, but it is in
> effect and has been for many years.
>
> Therefore, installing an MTA will get you both a port 25 daemon
> and a sendmail command, and remove any previous installed
> services.
>
> If you keep the config directories in place, you can switch
> between MTAs and feel reasonably confident that when you do
> that, via apt install, it will be started with the configuration
> that you already set up for it last time round. The exception
> are some shared files like /etc/aliases, where you should not
> expect a restored MTA to restore that config as well. Hence my
> suggestion of etckeeper.
>
> If one is trying to learn different MTAs, a few days or weeks
> with each is not out of the question, and the 10-45 seconds of
> apt install to change between them is reasonable.

Talking about learning multiple MTAs - using a virtualization environment +
configuration management (ansible/chef) + apt-cache-ng works excellently.

I have been using VirtualBox VMs (under Win10) with NAT network and ansible +
subversion to learn and get dma, exim, opensmtpd as well as postfix to work for
my production requirement.

My probably inconsequential contribution to this discussion.

Didar

--
Them as has, gets.