On 3/4/21 4:27 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

What I do now is make yet another attempt to convey my problem.

My universe consists of:
   1. myself.
   2. a laptop onto which I wish to install Debian using a netinst.iso .
   3. an Alcatel Linkzone sold me by T-Mobile, my ISP.
      T-Mobile erroneously ASSUMES that *all* customers will use it as a
      WiFi Hotspot to create a LAN of up to 15 devices.
      I, however, disable the WiFi as that function has *NO* value to me.
   4. Debian, absent *ANY* non-free drivers, which is slightly schizoid
      in that:
      a. it will happily connect to internet if it was installed from an
         image of DVD1.
      b. its installer which assumes one has *exactly* 2 ways to connect
             WiFi
             "ethernet" N.B. the quotes and use of lower case
   5. the internet which has all the privacy of a party-line from over
      three score and ten in the past.

I will assume you have this device:

https://www.alcatelmobile.com/product/mobile-broadband/mobile-wifi/linkzone-cat4-mobile-wi-fi/#spec

I will assume your laptop has a Wi-Fi adapter.

Identify which Debian package(s) are required for your Wi-Fi adapter (firmware, utilities, whatever). Download the packages and put them on a USB flash drive.

Boot the Debian installer. Insert the USB flash drive with the Wi-Fi packages when needed. Install the Wi-Fi packages. Proceed with the Debian installation.

David