I have been trying for some time to setup a system that will share an attached scanner over the network. I had hoped to use Buster as it is still the stable instance of Debian. I have followed everything in [1] but I could never get it to work. I then tried Bullseye and it worked right away. Today I decided to install a clean NETINST image of each and repeat the "server" steps as outlined at [1].

Even though the howto states that it covers Debian from versions 8 to 11, I could not get it to work on Buster (10). The process failed on Buster, again, even though scanimage on the system saw the USB scanner (Epson Perfection 2480 Photo). I then installed Bullseye. The exact same process and the very same saned.conf file worked immediately.

The client was the same in both cases (Buster).

Is there a tweak that I am missing? Has there been a change that isn't in Buster but has made it to Bullseye? Any recommendations on debug steps would be appreciated?

[1} https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork#Sharing_a_USB_Connected_Scanner:_the_Basics

--
Regards,

John Boxall