On Thu, Apr 22, 2021, 4:57 PM Andrew M.A. Cater <amaca...@einval.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 04:23:02PM -0400, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> > I saw TDE discussed in another, recent Thread, and had to look it up, as
> > am not familiar with it.
> >
> > How does it compare with the current KDE?  Other than a qemu VM with KDE
> > (so that I can examine it), I haven't used KDE in years (using XFCE for
> > most of my systems, but with one current Gnome Desktop).
> >
> > Is it worth using *instead* of KDE, or would that throw me into a mess?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Kenneth Parker
>
> It's designed to replace any of the other desktop environments so KDE and
> TDE
> might be a bit of a mess. Trinity is KDE 3 inspired so KDE from quite a
> while
> ago - it is lighterweight but it is tied very much to Q4OS which is Debian
> based but not pure Debian.
>
> Does this help?

Yes it does (and thanks, Gene for your input).

Like I said, I have a VM to examine the current KDE, and have been puzzled
about the Plasma part.

Since I examine, closely on Qemu before allowing anything on "bare Metal",
I will do the same thing with TDE, and then make up my mind between the
two.

One thing, of course, about KDE Plasma is Wayland, instead of Xorg, which
doesn't appear to support one of my, most used Laptops.

Again, thanks to both you, Andrew, and Gene.

> All the very best, as ever,
>
> Andy C.

Kenneth Parker