Just a data point - I'd been using nvidia cards for years.

Onmy current workstation, a Dell XPS 8930, the nvidia binary blob worked well, unless and until I booted a kernel other than the straight vanilla from the distro. After upgrading to the low latency kernel, it was goodbye GUI. So I reverted to the nouveau drivers, which worked fairly well for normal activities, and even games like openarena, but crashed immediately if I tried launch the game known as Beyond a Steel Sky.

So, caught between a rock and a hard place, I removed my nvidia geforce 1660 TI and replaced it with a radeon rx 560, since the default amdgpu drivers were more capable and performant than the nouveau, and less restrictive than the nvidia binary blob.

Personally, I'm not really into nvidia video these days. The default intel video is fine for normal desktop activities, and amd is my goto for extra performance.

Viktor