On Sat, May 01, 2021 at 04:40:30PM +0100, Joe wrote:

[...]

> Exactly so. You don't *know* that all the other drivers on the roads
> with you are lunatics, but you try to drive so that it doesn't matter
> too much if they are (disclaimer: I've never tried driving in Rome).

FWIW, I did, once, for a couple of days. With a fully loaded bicycle,
(after riding ~2000Km to get there, but that's another story).

I must admit that I was a bit scared. Turned out to be *extremely*
relaxed, much more so than other cities I was used to. My guess is
that the other drivers perceived us as a kind of strange-looking and
*very* slow Vespa. More predictable, and thus easy to deal with :)

Back to topic (or well: pop the topic stack): to halfway function
you'll need the assumption that not everyone is out to kill you.
Everything else goes as pathological disorder, for a reason.

Of course, taking precautions that not everyone will manage not
(unintentionally) killing you may prolong your life span.

Cheers
 - t