I have the following configured to back up my laptop to my file server:

root@galahad:~# cat /etc/cron.d/backup
MAILTO=m...@vdwege.eu
#00 04 * * * root /usr/sbin/btrbk --verbose --format=long run

Note: it is currently disabled.

The only other places I have anything mentioning btrbk in /etc is in
btrbk's config files:

root@galahad:~# grep btrbk /etc/ -rl
/etc/btrbk/btrbk.conf.example
/etc/btrbk/btrbk.conf.old
/etc/btrbk/btrbk.conf.local
/etc/btrbk/btrbk.conf~
/etc/btrbk/btrbk.conf
/etc/cron.d/backup

And yet I find this in /var/log/btrbk.log:

2017-03-12T20:16:28+0100 startup v0.24.0 - - - - # btrbk command line client,
version 0.24.0

There are no systemd timers related to btrbk either.

This started about 1.5 months ago when I changed the backup time from
midnight to 04:00; it took me some time to notice in the status mails
that btrbk was creating duplicate snapshots, and checking the logs
showed that at ran both at midnight and at 04:00. Disabling the 04:00
cronjob left the ghost cronjob at 00:00 intact.

How do I find out why a periodic job is running with nothing obviously
configured for it?

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.