On Tue 04 May 2021 at 17:06:50 (+0200), Mart van de Wege wrote:
> Sven Hartge writes:
> > Mart van de Wege wrote:
> >
> >> Nope, not ephemeral at all, it's PID 1. Since I don't have timers
> >> running this job, apparently there's a zombie process somewhere?
> >
> > PID 1 hints at a systemd.timer, even if you have dismissed this
> > previously. Also the start time of just after midnight hints at this.
> >
> > And when I look at the current btrbk package in Sid/Testing I do indeed
> > see it ships a timer in /usr/lib/systtemd/
> >
> > So, there is your answer then.
>
> Well whaddayaknow. I hadn't checked the system timers under
> /usr/lib/systemd/
>
> And that is the bastard running the ghost job.
>
> Surely packaging a system timer file like that should not be done? It
> should be at the discretion of the admin to create one if they want to
> run btrbk on a schedule.

I think this has been discussed in the past, and that installing a
package is generally seen as meaning that you want it to run: Debian
therefore tries to supply a reasonable and secure configuration.

But I can't help wondering what was the result of both systemd *and*
your cron job running btrbk at the same time. Do you have backups of
the logs?

Cheers,
David.