Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure why you want each VM to have a softphone.
> >
> > Debian packages linphone, empathy and twinkle
>
> Can you then call other people with those or corresponding
> software or can you call an actual smartphone using some app
> or something?

They all speak the SIP protocol. They can:

- call up other SIP clients. There are SIP clients for
  smartphones, so the answer to that question is "yes".
- including the Asterisk PBX he already installed
- and each other
- if they talk to a PBX which has a public telephone
  interconnection, they can call any phone number that PBX will
  allow, and be registered as extensions from that PBX (random
  telephones can call them back)

So: free VOIP service to anyone who has a SIP endpoint, and
services which charge money to interconnect with regular phone
systems are available.

Most telephone companies offer SIP to regular phone service and
vice versa for some price.

-dsr-