Dan Ritter wrote:

> The subsystem you are looking for is V4L2, Video For Linux 2.
>
> Showing up as /dev/video0 is an extremely positive sign.
>
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/V4L_capturing is what you
> want to read.

mencoder will give you different flavors and you could cook the soup that
tastes the best to you.
For example the Hauppauge card would provide a specific max quality of
output (the analog to digital converter). Thus here people suggest other
hardware. It could be the hauppauge is very low quality.

for example when analog TV was still popular I used with gl2 video out
driver following. Similar with mencoder except that it goes into a file

mplayer -tv
driver=v4l2:outfmt=yuy2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0:input=0:forceaudio:immediatemode=0:adevice=/dev/dsp1:amode=1:forcechan=2:audiorate=44100:audioid=1:volume=75:norm=0:normid=0:chanlist=europe-west
 -vo
gl2 -ao alsa:noblock:audiorate=48000:device=duplex tv://