On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 19:04:57 +0100
Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 24 Jun 2021 at 18:41:56 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 21:03:28 +0100
> > Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Michael was desperately trying to sustain his argument that

>  > Gmail is standards-based. I expext Signal is too; otherwise it would not
> >
> > Is there a published, readily available, complete description of Gmail's
> > behavior?
>
> It's described in the same document dealing also with Yahoo, gmx and
> Zoho :). I expect they have read and taken notice of the RFCs.
>
> > > work.
> >
> > ? Are you asserting that any software that works is necessarily
> > standards-based? If so, you must have a very different definition of
> > standards-based from mine.
>
> I wouldn't want to generalise to that extent. However, your mail made
> it to LDO and was then delivered to me. Gmail must be doing something
> right and standards-based.
>
> > > standrds-bsaed != free.

No one's denying that Gmail *mostly* follows email standards; the
criticism is that they sometimes deviate from these standards, in
undocumented and often frustrating ways. This may not affect your
use case; that does not mean that it isn't frustrating to others.

> > That's true, of course.
>
> It is perfectly possible to send and receive mail via gmail without
> ever encountering its web interface. That's no different from any
> other ISP.

Yes, I access Gmail almost exclusively via POP3 and IMAP. And the
clients I use have special workarounds and warnings for Gmail:

https://getmail6.org/faq.html#faq-notabug-gmail-bug
https://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2017/06/how-to-setup-sylpheed-for-gmail-imap-client.html

Celejar