Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

On 28/06/2021 21:36, David Christensen wrote:

Software encryption (dm-crypt, Linux Unified Key System (LUKS), etc.)
for a system drive is typically applied to the swap, root, and/or data
partitions, but the master boot record (partition table and boot
loader), extensible firmware interface (EFI) system partition contents,
and boot partition contents are plaintext and easily modified by an
attacker with physical access.  You will want a CPU with AES-NI or
equivalent to accelerate encryption/ decryption (should get 90%+
performance).  Without AES-NI, performance will be fractional.

Thanks. I will check out AES-NI on this CPU.

The simplest way to protect a drive at rest (e.g. powered off) is to get
a self-encrypting drive (SED).  The motherboard firmware prompts for the
passphrase after the power on self test (POST) and before reading the
drive.  Once the SED passphrase is entered, the entire drive appears as
plaintext.  Encryption/ decryption is handled by hardware inside the
drive controller, at full performance.

I don't trust SED, after listening to Steve Gibson analysis on state of
this feature.

Audio podcast: http://media.GRC.com/sn/SN-689.mp3
Transcript: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-689.pdf

His findings were sourced, among other things, on work of security
researchers at the Radboud University in the Netherlands, titled:
"Self-Encrypting Deception: Weaknesses in the encryption of solid-
state drives."
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8835339

I do not set the 'discard' (trim) option in fstab(5).  If and when I
want to erase unused blocks (such as before taking an image), I use
fstrim(8).

Yes, I use fstrim on weekly basis via crontab on all my SSD based
computers. I don't use discard option in fstab.
Will fstrim work with Debian-encrypted /home partition? fstrim will show
trimmed gigabytes, just like on normal system?
If yes then that's in, my enquiry is solved.

I would not worry about wearing out a good SSD in a daily driver laptop.
  I have been using Intel SSD 520 Series 2.5" SATA in my SOHO laptops,
desktops, and servers for many years; they all work and have available
lifespans in the high 90%'s.

I prefer to preserve SSD life if I can. And with this problem, it's a
matter of proper configuring it ONCE during install, and then reap the
benefits for years to come. I don't want to throw away free performance
and longevity boost.

Along with SED, I suggest that you also implement Secure Boot.  This
provides cryptographic signatures and chain of trust for critical files,
such as boot loaders and the kernel, whenever those files are to be
executed (e.g. boot, dynamic loading, etc.).

Thanks, I plan to use that. I already use it on my desktop.

--

With kindest regards, piorunz.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org