Hi,

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 21:25:17 +0100
Joe <j...@jretrading.com> wrote:

(...)

> Back when we had TV advertisements
> for beer, it was always the rubbish beers that got the publicity.

here (Germany) we still have those TV ads for beer, and I can assure you
that the advertised brands (its not up to me to decide whether they are
rubbish or not) are the ones that are available virtually everywhere, so
I believe that it is safe to assume that they are also the brands that
sell.
So yes, unfortunately at least in some cases advertisements apparently
pay.

> As for 'targetted advertising', I've never seen any. When I notice the
> ads around the sides of web pages, none of them are aimed at me

The same here. So maybe I have developed some skills obscuring my
"profile" to "them", or (maybe more likely) I am just too dumb to realize
that those ads *are* in fact targeted at me :-)

Regards

Michael

Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force.
                -- Amanda, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.3