Hi

> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 7:07 PM
> From: "Reco" <recovery...@enotuniq.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue
> Mode?

> Ok. Can you use this rescue mode to execute an ordinary shell, with full
> access to all filesystems?

Before I proceed with your suggestion, while in Resuce Mode, do I enter the
encryption passphrase or not? If I don't enter the password,
/dev/perfect-vg/root won't be mounted.

Even after I've entered the encryption passphrase, there are two ways to
execute a shell: one is to execute it in /dev/perfect-vg/root environment and
the other is to execute it in the installer environment. Which environment do
you want me to executve a shell in please?

What did you mean by "full access to all filesystems"? When I was installing
Debian 11, I first encrypted a free space with LUKS and then created two
logical volumes in it: one whose mount point is / (the root file system. Debian
installer requires it; otherwise the installation can't and won't proceed.)
while the other is "used as" swap area.

> If you're using your USB stick to boot, you have its file system
> (/dev/sdb1 in this case) mounted.

That's a logical assumption because I needed the USB-installer to boot into
Rescue Mode.

> If you're executing a shell in a
> logical volume, you're chrooted into that filesystem.

I had to enter the encryption passphrase first, followed by mounting
/dev/perfect-vg/root as a root file system temporarily. Then I chose 'Execute a
shell in the installer environment' and only then would I be able to chroot
/target

> But it does not change that the filesystem from /dev/sdb1 is mounted
> already, it's just inaccessible from the chroot.

That's why I asked for help here.

> What you actually need is to bind mount the directory with packages into
> the mounted /dev/perfect-vg/root, and just chroot into it. No need to
> modify /etc/fstab at all.

Could you be so nice as to give me the command(s) to bind mount the directory
with packages? Thank you.