Thanks Tixy,  Ill try that.  In summary, I found debian buster with gnome on rpi4 to be good enough for everyday browsing, online banking and shopping, etc.  Its not for gamers, and there are issues with some things.

For example I installed wxMaxima as a replacement for REDUCE and while my script ran correctly, It reported a Lisp error, a condition in PROGN that I haven't figured out yet.  I also tried to run an application I wrote that uses meson and ninja, and I got a message that implied libgtkmm-3.0 has a different path on ARM. Instead of /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/,  it is under /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/.

Next I am going to try the tested Bullseye image to see how things have changed.