Hello Greg,

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 7:22 PM Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 01:01:59PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> > # man dpkg-query
> >               Desired action:
> >                 u = Unknown
> >                 i = Install
>
> > v   lightdm-greeter                  -
>
> I'm guessing it means "virtual".  Let's see:
>
> unicorn:~$ apt-cache show lightdm-greeter
> N: Can't select versions from package 'lightdm-greeter' as it is purely
> virtual
> N: No packages found
>
> Yeah, seems likely.
>
> P.S. If we're complaining about the lack of documentation for the cryptic
> output of the Debian tool set, can we say some words about aptitude?
> Seriously.
>
> Please see /usr/share/doc/aptitude/README

Probabbly the most complete README in Debian Archive

I would not complaint about aptitude documentation, but yes about all that
packages that are shipping with a poor /usr/share/doc/xxx directory and
without package-doc package (which would be nice to have).

At my system:
1364 /usr/share/doc/xxx directories with a README file (seems fine to me)
3591 /usr/share/doc/xxx directories without a README file (many of that
packages sure have manpages and/or info files)

I think it would be a improvement that README file be present at each
package, at least providing a mininum info about the package / program /
library.

i know it is a utopy, but would be beatiful an unified README file with
sections like:

What it is? Why it is installed? Is it configurable? What manpage or doc to
read? Links to webs

I know, it is Debian, you want, you can start to do the work ...

It is only a suggestion that would be Debian better for me.

Sometimes I says , oh no, another /usr/share/doc/xxx package only with
changelog (necessary for me too!) and license (perfect too!!) ! Where could
I learn about what is that library or that program! ?

i know how to search manpages, and search on the internet and search at
https://packages.qa.debian.org/common/index.html ... but it would be useful
to have a nice README for every package.

Well I hope this mail not disturb anybody, it is only a simple idea

Regards!