Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> writes:

>       Modesetting DIX driver
>
> (Device Independent X driver)
>
> as opposed to Device Dependent X drivers Amdgpu, Intel, Nouveau & Radeon.

OK. Well, the man page says it's a driver for KMS devices? A raw Nvidia
chip with no supporting kernel driver isn't going to present itself as
KMS. So as far as I understand it, this can't work.

I did try the modesetting driver it and it works with the builtin Intel
I have. I got into running a compositor with my wm to get vsync support
so now enjoying some transparency effects. Video decode is maybe a bit
faster than with the Intel driver.

Anyways, I found out there's an unblock request for nvidia-driver so
that the version in sid (460.91) will be migrated. So it might get into
Bullseye for release and presumably Buster backports soon after that.