My home desktop is running Buster (4.19.0-17-amd64) and firefox-esr
78.12.0esr-1~deb10u1.  Neither translate.google.com nor images.google.com
functions properly.  If I go to Google Translate and enter "je ne sais pas"
in the left window, nothing happens.  It should automatically show a
translation at the right.  If I go to Google Images and search for
"solenodon", I get a full page of fine pictures of solenodons.  But there are
two problems.  If I put the cursor over an image, I get a pointing finger
icon.  (No, not that finger.)  But if I click, nothing happens.  It should
open up a window at the right to lead me to the source of that image.
Furthermore, if I scroll down, all the images below the first page appear
just as rectangles filled with some solid color (most being brownish).  The
tests were done with firefox in standard security mode (not strict), and not
using a private browsing window or any add-ons.  I haven't noticed problems
with any other websites.

Some history and other evidence...
1. I ran Stretch on this PC for about three years, and this all worked until
   one day a few months ago when it didn't.  I upgraded to Buster hoping that
   would fix it, but it hasn't.
2. On a Stretch machine at work, this all works well.
3. I just removed my whole ~/.mozilla filesystem and did a clean start of
   firefox.  The sites still failed.  So it doesn't seem to be peculiar to my
   personal firefox configuration.
4. On my other browser (torbrowser), the sites work well.  So the hardware
   can do it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get this working.  Thanks.