Andy,
THX A LOT! To the point;
Booting in 32b, running 64.
Seen a lot i686, &/or 64b software in it that confused me.
Now I may have a solution.
If this old (definitely a Mac 2,1):
Ever revives from this malstrom.
It matters a bit, cos my macbook Pro won't come back in week/s.
I have a Debian admin book to read, though, while waiting. Will do better
with VM e.g Virtualbox and Debian now I know it better than most Linux
distros I tried. Stable & free r good arguments to take the pain. A strange
adm book, though, that jumps over how to use Bash and Busybox in Debian
Rescue Mode/s (Yes, there seems to be two; 1 deeper into Rescue mode >
Crisis mode (Busybox) via f12 in startup, the other at 'shallow', first
level, via choosing Rescue mode(Bash) in installer,  Maybe both are outside
Debian? Challenge to write Exactly correct /sbin etc text in Bash to be
recognised.
Now I'll get slashed, but virtual slashes can't bleed me out much
Geg