On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 07:19:11AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 10:07:12AM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > [1] Nowadays this is a little white lie: most shells have them
> >    as builtins, but they are supposed to behave like regular
> >    programs, for compat. There /is/ a /bin/test, but I can't
> >    find a /bin/[ on my system anymore.
>
> It's in /usr/bin on Debian.

Ah, there it is, thanks.

With all those young-uns shaking Unix's foundations, one never
knows ;-P

[...]

> I'm a bit surprised they're not the same program.  And also that they're
> that large.  And that different in size from each other.

Yes, that's my recollection too: [ being a symlink to test (or even both
being hardlinked together). This might betray my age...

> The external versions of test and [ need to exist for POSIX conformance,
> and also so that you can -exec them from find(1) or other similar
> programs.

I see. Do we still (seriously) care about POSIX (don't get me wrong: I'd
strongly prefer a world where we did!).

Cheers
 - t