On Fri 13 Aug 2021 at 15:26:03 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:

> Brian (12021-08-13):
> > Did you read the Release Notes for Bullseye? (No advice on cat controls,
> > though :) ).
>
> Enough to upgrade, but I do not know what it has to do with connecting a
> printer to an OpenWRT router.

There is advice on printing and scanning there.

> > Also, the printing system does not have a unified driver. The drivers
> > used depend on the job, but they will always produce an outcome that
> > is suitable to be sent to the printer, irrespective of the make or
> > model of printer. Contrast that with the pre-buster situation. The
> > need for non-free vendor drivers has been eliminated.
>
> It is free and it is the same driver for all brands and models,
> "driverless" is still a driver, just like usb-storage is a driver.

Consider a driverless car. It is not really driverless in the sense
you espouse. Otherwise it would not be going anywhere, would it?
>From the point of view of the passengers and the Authorities there
isn't a human driver.

> > I am surprised you had to install ipp-usb. It is a Recommends: of
> > cups-daemon.
>
> APT::Install-Recommends 0;
>
> is one of the first dozen things I do to make a new Debian instable
> suitable for my tastes.

Fine when the user knows what he is doing but hopefully this will
not be common practice with most users.

> > Did I not recommend sane-airscan earlier in this thread?
>
> I forgot. I will check when the printer is plugged again.

You would be doing yourself a favour.

--
Brian.