On 2021-08-22 4:23 a.m., to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 09:56:19AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Fan connectors are 3-pin!
>
> Aha. So there's a chance.
>
> But still your drivers don't seem to play along. Hm.
>
> Ahem... it seems I was wrong: the third pin in three-pin conector seems
> to be tacho (i.e. speed feedback), not PWM [1]. The PWM is the fourth
> pin, which on a three-pin connector is the... oh, wait.
>
> Whether three-pin fans can be even be RPM controlled is an open question
> (the DC feed could be modulated, I guess, but I don't know whether it
> is actually done).

And there's the question of the system used to drive the fan. Could be
proprietary and not open.

On budget motherboard, saving a chip is saving some cash and making profit.

The significant difference in practice is that 4-pin fans allow for RPM
to change based on the need for cooling temperature, this reduces noise
and power consumption. While 3-pin can control the voltage, but the
voltage can't turn to change the fan RPM at all and accurate as much as
4 pin fans. [2]

What Is the Difference Between Three- and Four-Pin CPU Fans? [3]

> Cheers
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan#Connectors
>
>  - t

[2] https://digitalworld839.com/3-pin-vs-4-pin-fan-difference-between/