On 2021-08-22 12:43 p.m., Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> On 2021-08-22 9:41 a.m., to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 09:03:51AM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside
>> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Like I already wrote, modifying voltage doesn't change speed of a motor
>>> (fan).
>>
>> I disagree. The thing poses [1] as a DC motor (2 pins power, one tacho).
>> I don't think you get too much control over RPM, but putting the tacho
>> in the control loop should be possible.
>>
>> I have no idea what the motherboard/fan manufacturers actually do, though.
> Yes it is possible to modify speed of a motor by varying DC voltage. But
> this is not the case in the present situation.

I mean without resorting to adding extra hardware.

And personally I find it a bit crazy to add stuff so you can cut off
your fans without ensuring that they can also be started if temperature
rise in *autonomous* way.

I missed part of the conversation and we are now getting into a DIY
project with switches, resistor and more. In some way, developing some
way to cut the safety net.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside