Hi,

On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
Bob Bernstein <poo...@ruptured-duck.com> wrote:

> Thanks to those who chimed in!
>
> My focus today is on those lines in ~/.icewm/preferences that
> specify fonts for the task bar. I have in mind such statements
> as:
>
> NormalTaskBarFontNameXft="DejaVuSans-Bold,sans-serif:size=18"
> ActiveTaskBarFontNameXft="DejaVuSans-Bold,sans-serif:size=18"
>
> I suspect the syntax of my lines does not represent actual fonts
> that are available on this machine.
>
> Can anyone provide a critique of that syntax?

according to https://ice-wm.org/man/icewm-preferences the syntax for
using a bold font should rather be:

ActiveTaskBarFontNameXft=”sans-serif:size=12:bold” .

That comma-separated font list thing does not seem to work (at least not
with the IceWM version from Buster); since I suspect that "DejaVuSans"
and "sans-serif" might be equivalent here, I tried with a different font
here:

NormalTaskBarFontNameXft="Akkadian,sans-serif:size=11:bold"

This gives me the Akkadian font with normal (or medium) weight.
Changing the first font name to one that does not exist, like

NormalTaskBarFontNameXft="Akadian,sans-serif:size=11:bold"

gives me a normal weight default/fallback font. Likewise

NormalTaskBarFontNameXft="Akkadian:size=11:bold,sans-serif:size=11:bold"
resp.
NormalTaskBarFontNameXft="Akadian:size=11:bold,sans-serif:size=11:bold"

gives me a bold Akkadian font resp. that same normal weight default
fallback font as above.

I have some doubt though, that this has anything to do with your original
problem.

Best regards

Michael

It is necessary to have purpose.