On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 06:33:52PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 08:55:59AM -0700, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  systemd
> >  libpam-systemd:i386
> >  policykit-1
> >  policykit-1-gnome
> >  plymouth
> >  mate-polkit:i386
> >  lxpolkit
> >  modemmanager
> >  plymouth-label
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> > root@joule:~#

> If this appears to be complete apart from the errors you have: it may be
> worth rebooting and running dpkg -C to configure anything that is unpacked
> but remains unconfigured.

This would not be my advice.  For two reasons:

1) If the underlying problem isn't fixed, there is no reason to expect
   that "dpkg -C" is going to fix things.  It should just run the same
   post-inst scripts again, and produce the same errors again.

2) With systemd in a possibly messed-up state, rebooting is risky.

I would focus on fixing the underlying issue, starting with looking at
the things that it complained about.

ls -ld / /var /var/log /var/log/journal