On 2021-10-27 at 06:57, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a .deb package from HP (hp-health) that has this requirement,
> and doesn't install because of it.  It got damaged somehow during the
> last dist-upgrade.  I think I'd better re-install it.
>
> I have both libc6:i386 and lib32gcc-s1 (on an AMD 64bit machine).
> libc6-i686:i386  is tagged 'rc' transitional dummy package.

libc6, or libc5? The Subject line says the latter, but AFAIK the latter
hasn't been a thing for Quite A Long While Now (if indeed at all).

What version? On my system (tracking testing+stable), libc6:i386 is
available at versions 2.32-4 and 2.31-13+deb11u2, and neither one of
them is a transitional or a dummy package. I check with 'apt-cache
policy libc6:i386' and then 'apt-cache show libc6:i386'.

The 'rc' tag, as reported by e.g. 'dpkg -l', indicates "this package
used to be installed, but it's been removed, although its configuration
files have been left behind". I believe the 'r' stands for 'removed' and
the 'c' for 'config-files' or similar. So, if that's what you have
showing, then you don't actually have this package installed at the
moment. It seems possible that this might have been what changed during
the dist-upgrade you mentioned.

> HP doesn't seem to be inclined to update their support packages.
> Should I force the install, rebuild the package with a different
> DEBIAN/control, or something else?

If the dependencies actually list a package and version that aren't
available, for something as fundamental as the C library, I wouldn't
expect any good results from overriding the dependencies like that;
there might well be an actual incompatibility, such that at best you'd
get an installed program that wouldn't run.

> BTW, is the latter option just dpkg-deb -R followed by dpkg-deb -b?

That I don't know.

--
   The Wanderer