On Sat 27 Nov 2021 at 07:22:45 (-0600), John Hasler wrote:
> Celejar writes:
> > I'm curious: do most users of Debian on the desktop (who use MUA
> > software, as opposed to webmail via a browser) have such a font
> > installed, or do they see tofu?
>
> I use Gnus.  I've never manually installed any emoji fonts (or any other
> fonts) but I see the glyphs, not the tofu.

Questions like this remind me how little I understand font handling.
I read mail in mutt in xterm in fvwm in X, currently in buster, and
I see four glyphs. If I save the email in a file, then I see the
same glyphs in less etc. The font that I'm using in the xterm is
fonts-hack/fonts-hack-otf/fonts-hack-ttf/fonts-hack-web, whichever
of those is pulled in by   xterm -fa hack -fs 16 ….

If I type  xfd -fa hack, I can only display as far as 0x00feff,
which is far short of all but LOWER RIGHT PENCIL, and even that
glyph is displayed in xfd as an empty box. So it would appear
that something is performing font substitution in the xterm.
Hack is a pretty sparsely populated font AIUI.

A windowed   emacs -fn terminus-18   displays the pencil, and
replaces the others by boxes containing the appropriate hex
codes, 01f471, 01f3fb, and 01f517.

xfd -fn terminus-18   displays the pencil's glyph as ? (and
doesn't display a sufficient range to reach the others).

Running less in   xterm -fn terminus-18, I get a single-width
blank space for the pencil, and double-width ? for the others.

In case it matters, /etc/default/console-setup contains
  CHARMAP="UTF-8"
  CODESET="Uni2"
  FONTFACE="Terminus"
  FONTSIZE="16x32"

A VC displays solid diamonds for all of them.

I do have some noto packages installed (fonts-noto-hinted pulls
in fonts-noto-core, fonts-noto-mono and fonts-noto-ui-core in
buster), but don't know what's in them. When I use xfd on them,
it always displays DejaVu instead, and   fc-list noto
returns nothing. (fonts-recommended is new in bullseye.)

I wrote /four/ glyphs, but it sounds as if Celejar sees three,
the first one being coloured with some sort of skin tone. My
second glyph, 🏻, is a half-tone box with three lines of dots
inside, of 3, 4 and 3 dots.

Cheers,
David.