On Mon 29 Nov 2021 at 17:47:24 (-0500), Jude DaShiell wrote:
> sudo doesn't ask me for my password and I didn't even touch /etc/sudoers
> to do it.  A file placed in /etc/sudoers.d with permissions of 0440 having
> any name you choose and contents like:
> user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
> in it with user being the account name will do it.

As /etc/sudoers already contains the line:

  %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

one should be able to achieve the same effect by
adding the user to the sudo group.

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

> > edit /etc/sudoers and modify / add
> >
> > username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
> >
> > P.S. I am totally unconvinced about the arguments for using sudo rather than
> > running as root. You can do exactly the same damage with sudo as being root
> > user.

You don't have to use sudo in the manner shown above. You can use
it to allow certain users to run certain commands. I use it to run
a defined set of routine commands without having to bother to switch
to root, or to authenticate, or be careful, or be sober.

> > P.P.S The conventional instruction is to use visudo to do the edits. Which
> > means using Vi, which is another anachronism that should be humanely put
> > down.

Not here. The only editor I run as root is nano, whether I start it
with visudo, vi, vim, emacs, etc. They're all aliased to nano (except
the first), and always have been. (Or ae, back in the mists of time.)

Cheers,
David.