On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 08:51:59PM -0300, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
But doesn't Btrfs compression work with small blocks?

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Compression#Are_there_speed_penalties_when_doing_random_access_to_a_compressed_file.3F

Relatively small, which makes it fairly inefficient. But large enough that rewriting means writing much more than one (4k) block; what that means in terms of write amplification is highly workload dependent. There are good reasons that when file compression is expected to be significant, it is done at the application level.
Fedora change proposal of Btrfs transparent compression by default
mentions increased flash-based media lifespan in the summary:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsTransparentCompression#Summary

I understand that it says that, but it doesn't show its work and I'm skeptical that it's anything but cargo-cult repetition.