If the first possible port is hdmi it could be debian is getting hung up
on that port and thinks it's your default port.  This is not a new
problem.  Maybe a -nohdmi boot parameter could be added to instruct the
installer to bypass all of those hdmi ports if that's the problem you're
having.  If you have an hdmi connection possible with your video monitor
and this again is an hdmi problem maybe plugging a monitor into that hdmi
port might solve the problem.