On 15/1/22 5:17 pm, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

On 15/1/22 2:30 pm, john doe wrote:

I've looked a bit online and laptops with a Ryzen CPU (5 .../7 ...) are
between 550 and 1000 box or more.
is this price range what you were suggesting?

IN other words, if you were to buy a new laptop which one would you pick.

Thanks all for the model suggestions and ensuring that KVM support is
available.

--
John Doe

There is a resource listing debian compatible devices at https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn

A list of PCiE laptops is at https://laptop251.com/ssd-laptops/ (They are all intel though)

I use acer as they are well manufactured. I assume ASUS and MSI are similar.
I wouldn't use a Dell or HP

If I was forced to nominate a single laptop I would say Acer Aspire 7, AMD Ryzen 5-5500U, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Nvidia GTX 1650

This is because it has the right drive type and memory type so it can be upgraded where it matters. It's also reasonably mature so not so pricey and has had time for linux drivers to be developed.

This does not exclude countless other options which will certainly be better on some criteria.

NB I don't have this device and have chosen it only on the reputation of Acer and the documented upgrade path.

--
Jeremy