Needing sound as much as I do and having used usb sound systems, I'll add
one more suggested precaution to this info.  Sometimes alsa makes .lock
files in /var/lock and these will block alsactl from working.  So check
for those and delete as necessary then run alsactl store and alsa will
make those lock files for you again but with your desired settings in
place.