On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 4:06 AM Anssi Saari <a...@sci.fi> wrote:

> Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
> > Here's another way to attack those chicken/egg problems:
>
> Interesting approach. When I recently installed Debian on a newish
> computer I needed some firmware packages and a newer kernel too from
> debian-backports. I was able to use my phone connected to USB enough to
> complete installation and then install what I needed from
> debian-backports and then get online with built in ethernet.
>
> After that I have bought some cheap Linux-compatible USB ethernet and
> USB wifi adapters, just in case.

My approach to these problems is to sidestep them entirely:
(1) Create an installable USB key on an existing connected machine
(2) Install it on a new machine

Step 1 is much faster if that connected machine is NOT on wifi, but cabled
to your router instead.
You can even do Step 1 on a Win machine, Debian doc tells you how.
And you can even increase your wifi throughput on the newly-installed
machine by just disabling the
wifi port and plugging that network cable directly into the router all the
time. Wifi issues gone :-)

the