Hello,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 07:09:48PM +0100, Linux-Fan wrote:
> To really profit from the enhanced reliability, you need to play
> through the recovery scenario, too. I recommend doing this in a VM
> unless you have some dedicated machine with at least two HDDs to
> play with.

If wanting to play around with mdraid you can do it with loop
devices created from image files on your regular filesystem.

$ cd /var/tmp
$ for i in a b; do fallocate -l 100M fake_disk_${i}.img; done
$ for i in a b; do sudo losetup -f fake_disk_{$i}.img; done
$ sudo mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2
/dev/loop[01]
$ sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0
$ sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt

You can then practice removing, adding, failing etc. the loop devices.

When done playing around just unmount, stop array, losetup -d each loop
device then delete the files.

Cheers,
Andy