On 2022-01-24 22:02, David Wright wrote:
> On Mon 24 Jan 2022 at 20:30:20 (-0500), a wrote:
>> i've installed debian 11 for both arch on same PC, amd64 seems faster
>>
>> is there some tool to demonstrate performance of PC?

Yes there is standardized benchmark available. LinPack for example,
GeekBench is another one.

https://www.geekbench.com/download/

>> they say it's not possible to say which is faster without defining
>> computing task
True, AMD64 code incur some overhead.
So it will be less effective if you don't have any reason to take
advantages of the x64 architectures, for example by having less than 4
GB of RAM.

The x64 binary are also somewhat larger than the i386 binaries, they
also need more memory to run because often they will allocate 64 bit for
data "by default" on this platform.

If you are on short supply of memory, again no advantage of x64.

But this also depend on many other factors.

Because what make a difference between our PCs and high performance node
is hardware bottleneck.

So for general computing, you'll rarely exploit fully your CPU. You'll
often wait for data coming from the central memory, wait for data to be
sent out on the peripheral bus or extensions bus.

You ask a question that needs a context to be answered.

>> is performance difference significant if computing task is web
>> browsing (www.debian.org)
No ! Shouldn't be, unless you have over 4 GB of RAM and would be running
many many windows/tabs/intensive web applications.

>> debian-11.2.0-i386-netinst.iso is 470M while
>> debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso is 378M
>> <http://ftp.sunet.se/debian-cd/11.2.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-11.2.0-i386-netinst.iso>
>>
>> no wonder amd64 is more efficient
>
> What exactly are you comparing here? Generally speaking, the amd64
> packages are /larger/ than the i386 ones: hardly surprising.
>
> But the i386 ISOs have /two/ versions of many packages, the PAE
> ones and the non-PAE ones.

Based solely on the size on a installation CD making affirmation
regarding benchmark is really doing a shortcut to deliver conclusion.

The question ask require more information to get a real answer.

I seriously doubt that you'll really feel difference in real life type
workload. Even using benchmark tools does not relate to real life
workload, unless you are doing physics simulation, financial analysis
regression or other math workload. In such case, you wouldn't ask such
question and already hold the answer.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside