On Tue, 2022-02-01 at 11:43 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
[...]
> I'm unclear on how NFS v4 works.  Everything I've read about it in the
> past says that you have to set up a user mapping, which is shared by
> the client and the server.  And that this is *not* optional, and *is*
> exactly as much of a pain as it sounds.
>
> I'm looking at <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto> for example
> and there's discussion back and forth on the page about how the user
> mapping is not working as expected, and try this and that, and see this
> bug....
>
> I've never actually used NFS v4 myself.  In fact, at work I have to go out
> of my way to *prevent* it from being used, because some of the NFS servers
> to which I connect (which are not under my control) don't support it.
>
> The comment about the access being based on UID is certainly true for
> NFS v3, though.  NFS v3 ("regular, traditional NFS") controls mounting
> options by the host's IP address, and controls file system access by
> UID and GID.  There may be some way to circumvent that, but I've never
> done it.  I just make sure the UIDs and GIDs match, the way you're
> supposed to.
>
> For a home network, I can't really imagine a need to go through all of
> the NFS v4 hoops.  I would just use NFS v3 with synchronized UIDs.

Perhaps because I didn't know better, but I used NFSv4 since first
setting up my home network. My install notes for my clients just
have...

   Edit /etc/default/nfs-common to have

        NEED_IDMAPD=yes

   Edit /etc/idmapd.conf, make sure these aren't commented out or missing...

        Verbosity = 0
        Pipefs-Directory = /run/rpc_pipefs # before jessie this was
/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs

Presumably that's the voodoo I found on the internet when I set things
up many years ago. I do have all my UIDs and GUIs matching across all
machines at home. Everything works seamlessly here. (On the server the
exports have option no_root_squash, the latter lets root use NFS
filesystem too.)

--
Tixy