Nitebirdz wrote:
> I currently have a laptop running buster on an encrypted disk that boots
> via EFI. The filesystems look like this:
>
> /dev/mapper/tangier--vg-root            /
> /dev/mapper/tangier--vg-home            /home
> /dev/sda1                               /boot/efi
> /dev/sda2                               /boot
>
> I know I can easily upgrade to bullseye from the running system. However,
> what I usually do when it's time to upgrade Debian on a laptop is to start
> from a clean slate. It's my chance to clean up and remove old cruft (well,
> with the exception of my own home partition, of course). So, instead of
> upgrading, I just install the new version of Debian.
>
> Now, my problem is that, whenever I launch the installer, it wants to
> partition the disk. Is there a way to tell the installer to leave the
> existing partitioning scheme alone? Also, I'd need the installer to leave
> the home partition alone, and format and install over the other
> partitions. Is this possible? If so, how? I've been trying different
> approaches, and I don't seem to be able to find the way to do it.

Yes. Tell the installer you want to partition the disks
manually, and then select each one and assign it to the role
that you want. For /home, either don't assign it or make sure
that you mark it as "leave the contents alone".

But if you're going to do that, why not try a nice in-place
upgrade first? I bet you'll be happy with it, and if not, you've
lost maybe an hour over what you were going to do anyway.

-dsr-