Thomas and Andrew, thanks for your reply.

The laptop is no more than two years old and it has an Intel Core i3-1005G1
processor.
Also, I checked the USB stick and it only has the 32-bit EFI program in the
EFI boot folder.

I assume based on what Andrew said that maybe the UEFI needs to be 64-bit.
I guess I will take the thread to the debian-live mailing list and ask why
there is no 64-bit UEFI program and their plans to add one.