From: David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk>
    Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:08:28 -0600

> You may hit snags. Some programs might refuse to run, or do
> strange things because they're written to distinguish between
> root and an ordinary user.

After 5+ days, hit one snag.

root@joule:~# su peter
peter@joule:~$ firefox-esr --display=:0
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyUnable to init server: Could not connect:
Connection refused
Error: cannot open display: :0

peter, logged in directly, can run firefox.
root, logged in directly, can run firefox.
The above is from a security mechanism in firefox?

> Rather than link /root to /home/root probably better to edit
> /etc/passwd to have root homed at /home/root.

Works.

    From: pe...@easthope.ca
    Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 21:41:24 -0800
> Rather than reinvent the wheel, I should use a product of extensive
> development.
> http://wikka.puppylinux.com/DebianDog
> https://github.com/DebianDog/

Nicely polished systems.  Most variants have graphics I don't need.
DebianDog has "Porteus booting", another layer of complexity.   For now
will stick to plain Debian and log in as root unless my ordinary
account is needed.

Links to downloads, in case someone wants to try DebianDog.
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

Installation instructions here.
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/isodata/Examples-boot-codes.txt

Regards,                            ... P.

--
mobile: +1 778 951 5147
  VoIP: +1 604 670 0140