On Tue 15 Feb 2022 at 07:48:57 (+0100), to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 05:14:36PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Perhaps the simplest way of answering this is to configure
> > your system with /etc/default/locale file as LANG=C.UTF-8,
> > and unset any specific i18n or L10n settings and see what
> > you get. Perhaps try again in 50 years: it could differ.
>
> I guess that is an avenue of investigation. still, I think
> packages like a modern Web browser will pull in such
> dependencies, either through the distro or (worse) bringing
> in their own versions. A browser can't "know" which scripts
> a Web page brings along and will insist in rendering Unicode
> correctly.

Oh, that's part of the investigation too. For example, I just typed
$ less /home/auser/.cache/mozilla/firefox/sole-random.default/cache2/entries/0*
and kept pressing → (the zero avoids too long a command line,
and → implicitly answers "no" to "binary file.  See it anyway?").
That which isn't random text or numbers is almost all in the usual
"North Atlantic" English. For me, that it. Others might have
different results.

I'm afraid I won't be around in 50 years time.

> > But in view of that single letter in your reply, and another
> > post on d-u, I'll not bother to continue this thread. I'm
> > just not interested in taking what looks to me like a
> > xenophobic approach to foreign language scripts or anything
> > else in Debian.
>
> Please, hold your horses. Lack of knowledge sometimes might
> come across as "xenophobic" -- things sometimes clear themselves
> once knowledge grows. Give us people a chance to learn :-)

Look back: the OP has had plenty of help from me, and may well
in future. Just not in this thread, not beating up on libthai*
just because they're the only "non-English files" found by
the OP.

Cheers,
David.