On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:32:08 -0700
"Jamin W. Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 04:18:40PM -0500, Bradley M Alexander wrote:
> > I just built a sid box from bare metal last week, and am having
> > problems getting the nVidia drivers to load. I tried this under 2.4.23
> > and 2.6.0, and in both cases, the module refuses to load. At this
> > point, I'm not sure if it is a module loader problem or within X. X
> > itself is reporting:
>
> Almost every box I own uses the nvidia driver.  How did you build the
> driver?  Are you using the Debian packages?  If so, which version of the
> packages (both nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx)?

Same here. This particular box, however, was just built last week using
the new sarge netinst CD. I'm running the 4496 packages on all of them. I
build the kernel and driver the Debian way. Untar the kernel source, make
menuconfig, make-kpkg kernel_image. For the modules, I make-kpkg modules.
In this case, I untarred the nvidia-kernel-source.tar.gz tarball, ran the
2.6 patch before doing the make-kpkg modules.

> > This happens whether I load the module by hand or not. The nvidia
> > devices(nvidia[0123] and nvidiactl) exist in /dev.
>
> When you load the module manually, does it show in the output of lsmod?

Yep. That was the first thing I checked when looking under 2.4.23.
When I tried to load the module under 2.6.0, I got the message

 FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.0/nvidia/nvidia.ko):
Invalid module format

However, the module was loaded under 2.4.23...

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |