On 01/03/2022 12:44, Brian wrote:
On Tue 01 Mar 2022 at 10:36:54 +1300, Ash Joubert wrote:
On 01/03/2022 09:25, Nicolas George wrote:
In typical domestic settings, the wifi password is on a post-it near the
access point, safe from neighbors but convenient for guests.
For even greater convenience, especially for those of us who inflict long
randomly-generated passphrases on our guests, you can provide a QR code that
works with most mobile devices:
qrencode -s 20 -o wifi.png "WIFI:S:Your Wifi SSID;T:WPA;P:Your Wifi
Passphrase;;"
Very nice. Does that work when the code is onscreen and/or printed on
paper?

Yes, both. I have made QR codes for paper and have also scanned them from my desktop and from my phone (just like Google Pay passes). I used LibreOffice Writer to place my WiFi QR codes alongside identifying information on a single page for printing. Smart phones seem to have no problem reading them from paper or screens.

QR codes are designed to work in dirty industrial environments. Another nice trick is to use "qrencode -l h" to encode a high level of redundancy so that ~30% of the QR code can be overwritten with a logo or other artwork such as a WiFi symbol.

Kind regards,

--
Ash Joubert <a...@transient.nz>
Director