On 03/03/2022 04:56 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 14:24:29 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

I have limited internet connectivity.
I have read over the years that installing a *MINIMAL* command line
system from netinst.iso [without internet is possible].
The intent to add pieces later assumed.
Is this process described somewhere?

I've got a system that appears to have a very minimal shell running.
My potential internet connection is a USB connected hotspot from
T-Mobile. On a typical GUI installed Debian it runs fine.

My minimal system doesn't recognize it.
What might be the missing software?

Any suggestions?
My effective data cap at the moment is ~1 GB/month.
Among my goals is installer for those with _*minimal*_ resources.

I'm assuming you're connecting your phone

It is not a phone.
It is a WiFi Hotspot intended to serve 16 WiFi connected devices.
Specifically it is labeled "Alcatel Linkzone", a "4GLTE Hotspot".
I have selected to keep the WiFi disabled {a menu choice}.
[I consider WiFi to be intrinsically a potential vulnerability. As a senior citizen I'm old fashioned.}

directly via its USB port to a
USB port on your computer.  You probably need to make an entry
in /etc/network/interfaces. Plus, enable "USB tethering" (not wifi) in
Settings/Network on your phone.  Here's my interfaces entry:

allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp

My phone gets recognized as usb0, your's my differ.  Make the
correction, if needed.

Your description would be consistent with what I see.
When I power up my laptop, I have to leave the Hotspot unplugged until the boot process has completed. Otherwise it tries to treat it as a memory device.

Can you point me to a more complete description of the process?
TIA

iface usb0 inet dhcp