ok, i've finally had my computer lock up again while i've
set up the core dumps and i was hoping that i'd get an
actual core dump file to help narrow things down to a
specific programs, but no luck with that at all.

system is running Debian Testing, updates applied each
morning. desktop is MATE.

the only messages i can find are in the Xorg.old log and
they look like:

=====
[  2341.978] (EE) event4  - Logitech K840 Mechanical Corded Keyboard: client
bug: event processing lagging behind by 27ms, your system is too slow
=====

the symptoms are that as i am typing the keyboard completely
stops responding and the mouse too, the system is then hung.
nothing updates or changes.  the clock, network, etc.  all
stuck.

when i search for this kind of problem on the internet i come
up with:

https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-why-am-i-getting-event-processing-lagging-behind-msg-in-ubuntu-20-10/

which says ignore it

while the following two give me the hope that it is some
kind of bug that might get fixed.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-libinput/-/issues/46

i'm not sure i can help at all with debugging this further, but
since others might be seeing this message and wondering what is
going on i'll post this anyways.

  songbird