On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 3:00 PM Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun 03 Apr 2022 at 19:45:47 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> > > Indeed, all of this happens, usually without any explanation
> whatsoever.
> > > For whose benefit are such requirements constructured?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brian.
> > >

> > Some of this is to make passwords harder to guess / harder to
> brute-force.
> > Some of this is to satisfy regulatory requirements - so credit card
> > transactions have particular restrictions / two factor authentication
> > or similar.
>
> My quety related to *whose benefit* these rules are imposed? Your
> answer implies it is for the benefit of the website. I am not aware
> of any regulatory requirements placed on the user in the UK for
> devising passwords.

I've worked on linux-based software which is covered by overseas medical
device law as well as US HIPAA, PCI and medical IT-device standards. All
have password-strength requirements which compliant businesses and software
must meet. Including web-facing components. YMMV.

> One of the bits of advice is to use long passwords made up of three
> > random words and to use a different password per website / to use
> > your web browser to generate an appropriate random password.
> > Forcing passwords to change regularly may not be a good way to
> > maintain security - it can mean that people use password01, password02
> > and things like that.
>
> Changing passwords at frequent intervals? Total nonsensense as far as
> advice goes.

See above, it applies here too.