I am trying to replace the original hard drive on an old Toshiba laptop
with a 1 TB SSD from Crucial. (I had recently successfully done that in an
old Dell Latitude and had no problems.)

I first did a clean install of Debian 11 on the old drive to ensure the
laptop works okay. Then I installed the new SSD and it can't find the
drive. From what I can find at Crucial, I need to install their Storage
Executive program on a Windows host, hook up the SSD to a USB/SATA
connector on that host, and configure or install the firmware onto the SSD.

I was foolish not to have researched their SSD use on a Linux host, but I
got lulled into their "upgrade your computer" site that told me the exact
models that were hardware-compatible.

Of course I may have fried the SSD, but I am fairly confident that the
device is operable.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

-Tom