On 2022-04-27 09:36:22 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 01:42:05PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 27 Apr 2022 at 08:05:46 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
>
> > > If I understand correctly, which is always in serious doubt, it is
> > > exim that constructs the Sender: line by combining /etc/mailname and
> > > $LOCALHOST. Is this so?
> >
> > No. exim4 uses what is in /etec/mailname as the MAI FROM: (the envelope
> > from).
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> > > These values are present:
> > >
> > >   $ nano /etec/mailname
> > >   lenin.histomat.net
> >
> > lenin.histomat.net appears to be unrouteable. How a remote system would
> > deal with that is anyone's guess.
>
> I do not understand. What should /etc/mailname look like?

In general, the FQDN of your machine. It does not need to be
resolvable, but if it isn't, you will probably need to use a
smarthost.

> I suspect it should simply be histomat.net

You may use it if you own the domain. Otherwise, I think that
this could lead to problems, with mail sent to the wrong place
(think of mail sent to root and mail sent to some external
histomat.net user).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>