On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 06:47:20AM -0400, Larry Martin wrote:
> Yes.  I used 192.168.1.45.  I have about given up on the approach and will
> probably go to the multiple CD version of the install.

I'm still struggling to understand what you're saying here.

Is your router's IP address really 192.168.1.45?  If so, that is highly
unusual.  I've never heard of such a case.  Most consumer routers will
place themselves at *.*.*.1 for whichever network they support, which
is typically one of 10.0.0.* or 192.168.1.*.

So in other words, I would expect your router's IP address to be
192.168.1.1 on this network.  Unless you've got a *very* strange
router, or you've manually reconfigured its address.

Also, does your router provide DHCP service?  All modern consumer routers
do, because basically every device in the world which isn't a Unix
server will expect to be given its address via DHCP.

For purposes of installing your Debian system, you could let it use
DHCP to obtain its address.  If, later on, you want to tie it down to
a specific address, you can configure the router to assign a specific
IP address to the Debian system's MAC address.  Or, alternatively, you
could find an unused block of IP addreses in the DHCP server's address
range, and manually assign one of those to the Debian system.  But
that can wait until installation has finished.

Are you using ethernet (a cable) or wireless networking?

Is this a laptop, or a desktop computer, or something else?  Does it have
a model number?

Finally, please tell us more details about what problem you're actually
seeing.  At what step does the problem occur?  What do you *see*?  Is
there a message?  What does it say?