On 2022-04-28 12:42 UTC+0200, Tom Browder wrote:
> All I want is a small PC able to host multiple drives for redundant
> storage. Can a typical NAS appliance be used for that?

As suggested by me and others before, I would look for a cheap device
like the Raspberry Pi for home use. You can configure and install
everything like you want and you are not limited by the use cases
intended by the manufacturer.

I replaced an older Synology NAS myself this year with a Raspi based
solution and I am totall happy with it. For file serving I use sshfs,
which better fits my needs than SMB or NFS. I think there are also
clients available for Windows and Mac (if you need that).

I use it completely headless, but - if you wish so - you can also use it
as a low-end ARM based desktop PC.

If you have any questions regarding setup, please come back.

Regards,
Christian

--
http://www.cb-fraggle.de