On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 09:09:19AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Thanks for a quick reply.
>
> On 04/30/2022 07:23 AM, Christian Britz wrote:
> > Generally it is easier to install Windows first, then Debian, but of
> > course it is possible the other way round.
>
> My post evidently could have been clearer.
> My friend's laptop will be purchased with Windows pre-installed.
> I will set it up to dual boot Debian in order to demonstrate some Linux
> software.

This is probably a bad move: if _anything_ goes wrong, even with Windows
you are likely to get the blame. I'd suggest that instead, you use something
like a Debian Live to demonstrate software - that will make no changes.

As someone who has done this, you may be in for a world of pain, misery
and support calls.
If your friend doesn't have a copy of Office - get libreoffice for them, for
example, or other software that exists for both OS to help them out.

> It will be a refurbished unit. To simplify having any required servicing
> done by the vendor, the installed Windows must remain.

So: You have a Windows laptop that has "a" preinstalled Windows on: it
may not be installed the way you'd want - it might be installed with a
large recovery partition / a generic image / have been installed using
BIOS mode.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to get hold of a Windows .iso and make a clean
install of Windows and other software if that's feasible. You can get
a Windows .iso from Microsoft to do the reinstall by using their media
make - specify as you download it that it's for this computer.
Alternatively, there may be a way to effectively do a reinstall by doing
a Windows refresh - which may wipe out applications installed.

If you can get your friend comfortable with using Debian live, then suggest
that _they_ with your help, dedicate a portion of the disk to Debian.

Installation:

Windows first - shrink the disk using Windows partition manager. Install
Debian, use OS prober which should also find the pre-existing Windows install.
Set the Windows clock appropriately so that Debian doesn't reset it when
daylight saving time cuts in or whatever ...

Debian first:

Install Debian: use gparted to resize the disk. Leave the second part
of the disk completely blank. As you install Windows, tell it to use
only the free space. It _will_ assume that it's the only OS: at that
point, use a Debian medium in rescue mode to set Debian as the OS in
charge of boot.